Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Monday, December 31, 2018

New Year's resolution....


Parents and grandparents could explain to the children:

  • I'm sorry I had to play tennis when there were protests.
  • I don't like to get involved in controversial politics.
  • You can't beat city hall - why bother?
  • I might lose my job if I got involved with those groups.
  • I might get my name on some FBI list if I went to those meetings.
  • What would my friends and family think of me if I worked with people like you?
  • I've got better things to do with my money than donate to one of those causes.
  • We are all going to die anyway so why bother?
  • Don't worry - be happy.
  • I'm not that smart and those in government seem to know what they are doing anyway.
  • I heard on NPR that everything was going to be OK.
  • Think of all the jobs we get from these industries. You people just want to shut everything down!
  • I wanted to help but had to put three kids through college.
  • My spouse threatened to leave me if I went to one of those meetings.
  • These things didn't directly impact me or my family.
  •  I'm sorry but I am a capitalist and support this system.  Look what it has done for me.  This system is about freedom first and foremost.
  • Should we all just live in caves?
  • I read the New York Times every day so I know what is going on.

In one way or the other I've heard just about all of these excuses during my time as a full-time social justice, peace and environmental organizer - since 1978.

Most people find one or more reasons from the list above to justify spending their lives in denial of apparent reality.  The techno world and capitalism have transformed many people into automatons.  It's very sad but a fact of our time.

The goal would be that people would rediscover their spiritual connection to our Mother Earth and one another before it is too late.

It might be a bit romantic on my part but I often think about all those in my long family lineage who got our relations through the ice ages, droughts, famines, plagues, wars and the like. Now during this moment on Earth some are giving up the ghost.  I can't understand why anyone would surrender when our #1 job as a human being is to protect our children and the planet - both are the future.

It's a broken spiritual connection that we all suffer from that keeps us locked in our prison.

Best wishes in the New Year.  

Bruce

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home