BUDGETS CONTINUE TO FAVOR ENDLESS WAR
While Congress is hashing out 2007 Iraq money, the Bush team of pirates have also submitted their 2008 budget request to Congress.
- Bush has requested $622 billion for military spending in the 2008 budget. This is an increase of $40 billion over the previous year.
- Pentagon spending has increased 48% during the Bush reign.
- Bush is asking Congress to approve $145 billion for Iraq and Afghanistan for 2008.
- The Pentagon requests $16 billion in 2008 for Star Wars research and development
To pay for these major increases in military spending and more tax cuts for the rich, Bush proposes more severe cuts in human needs programs in 2008.
- Cut Medicare by $66 billion over the next five years.
- Cut Medicaid by $11 billion over the next five years.
- Cut other domestic programs by $114 billion over the next five years. These programs would be head start for kids, veteran's health care, environmental protection, scientific research, low-income housing and health assistance.
Now is it just obvious to me that you can't have guns and butter at the same time? The Democrats claim that you can. Some real hard choices have to be made here and at this point it is quite apparent what is getting cut and what is not.
The Dems just handed Bush more than he wanted for Iraq in 2007. What makes us think they will suddenly change course in 2008?
Those who believe we will see change just because the Dems have taken control of Congress are fooling themselves. You are riding a sinking ship. The sooner you get off and start swimming the better chance we have of saving lives before we all drown.