The Smoking Guns
Here are some interesting tidbits from my email inbox this morning.
- The Nation reports that drone pilots are quitting like rats off a sinking ship. Some good news for once:
The U.S. drone war across much of the Greater Middle East and parts of Africa is in crisis and not because civilians are dying or the target list for that war or the right to wage it just about anywhere on the planet are in question in Washington. Something far more basic is at stake: drone pilots are quitting in record numbers.
There are roughly 1,000 such drone pilots, known in the trade as “18Xs,” working for the U.S. Air Force today. Another 180 pilots graduate annually from a training program that takes about a year to complete at Holloman and Randolph Air Force bases in, respectively, New Mexico and Texas. As it happens, in those same 12 months, about 240 trained pilots quit and the Air Force is at a loss to explain the phenomenon. (The better-known U.S. Central Intelligence Agency drone assassination program is also flown by Air Force pilots loaned out for the covert missions.)
- Oriental Review shares a very important story about increased US destabilization efforts in Central Asia:
Strategic Theory: The US’ primary goal in creating chaos in Central Asia is to split Russia’s focus in dealing with the Ukrainian Crisis and create a situation where its decision makers are unable to adequately protect the country’s entire periphery. This is envisioned as leading to the penetration of chaotic dynamics directly into the Russian Federation itself (be it from the west or the south), which could contribute to the realization of the ‘Eurasian Balkans’ end game of dividing the country into ethnic and regional fiefdoms and indefinitely prolonging the US’ unipolar moment. In order to get to such a grand finale, a series of steps must be taken in the countries around Russia to provoke such a scenario.
- Craigslist has a job notice that is a mind-blower. Don't try to tell me that the Pentagon is not preparing for direct military operations in Ukraine and Russia:
Ukrainian/Russian Men Needed $19/Hr (Oceanside, CA)
GTS (Glacier Technology Solutions LLC) - We are military contractors working directly with the US Marine Corps assisting them with their immersive simulation training program. Currently, we are looking for role players of Ukrainian and/or Russian ethnicity and language skills. Need MEN ranging 18-65 years of age. This is temporary, part time, on-call work based on need and availability. At the moment, we are staffing for an upcoming training to take place on: March 29-31, 2015. The scheduled hours will vary from 8-12 hours per working day. Compensation is $15.17/hr. plus another $4.02/hr. Health and Welfare benefit for up to 40 hours of work in a workweek. (Overtime rates will be paid if necessary). Register for work at: www.Shiftboard.com/wforce
For further questions feel free to call. We look forward to meeting, and sharing this fun and unique work experience with you.
- On the plus side The New Yorker magazine has a big spread this month about the Catholic Worker movement and plowshares activists. You can find it here
- Just to keep things in perspective.... think about how Russia is accused by US-NATO of wanting to recreate their Soviet 'empire'. Let the numbers speak for themselves. The Russian military budget is approximately $53 billion in 2015 while the US is spending more than $787 billion on Pentagon operations. Then add in the combined NATO members military budgets. Is Putin really in any position to play Hitler? It's a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.