JUST IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING
A new Washington Post poll gives us the latest evidence that the American people are not stupid. The poll found:
* Americans disapprove of the sequester cuts by 53-39
* 68 percent want Obama and the GOP to work together to avert the cuts, while only 28 percent want them to continue (the conservative position)
* 71 percent oppose cutting spending on Medicaid to replace the cuts; and 60 percent oppose raising the Medicare eligibility age to replace them.
* By contrast, 58 percent support replacing the cuts with more targeted cuts to military spending.
* 56 percent support replacing the cuts with an agreement that includes limiting deductions enjoyed by higher income individuals.
All we need now is to get folks to act on those positions. In Maine we plan to deliver pizza-style door hangers across the state on April 5-13 asking people to call Congress and say "cut the military budget and defend social progress".
It's important for a dispirited public to see actual organizing that represents their own interests happening. It gives people hope, gets them talking to their neighbors about the massive Pentagon budget, and encourages them to take action.
We don't have the corporate media on our side but we can walk door-to-door to pass on our message. People want to be part of successful campaigns but they take hard work. We have to do that work and now is the right moment to do it.