Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Wednesday, August 09, 2023

'We shall never forgive atomic bombs'

 


 

The Higashi-Hiroshima Mixed Choir is active in singing together with those who lost their lives in the war and atomic bombing. 

I heard this song in 1985 during my first trip to Tokyo-Hiroshima-Nagasaki and then on to Fukuoka. I went as representative of national Mobilization for Survival which the Florida Coalition for Peace & Justice (I then coordinated) was an affiliate.

After the events on August 6 and 9 in Hiroshima and Nagasaki I was invited to return with the local peace group from Fukuoka to their city for a couple days. It was a very meaningful trip. When I left Fukuoka I was given a tape of Japanese peace songs (that included Japanese and English versions of this song) and it has stuck in my heart and head all these years later.

I recall this moving chorus line from the English version quite well:

Fishing boats are idle, their owners are blind, deadly harvest of two atom bombs....so landsmen and seamen you must watch and take care, that the third atom bomb never comes.
Many thanks to my friend Makiko Sato for finding me this video clip. I looked but could not find it.

Bruce  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today 9th August Observed silent Protest at Gandhi statue for Abolition of Nuclear war heads in land and space. Global Network [Visakhapatnam chapter] with Indian peace org Organised the meeting with Prof Surappadu from Andhra University Is the chief Guest.

Prof Urged the UNO to intervene in Russian Ukrainian war for peaceful Settlement. Around 25 members of different groups Participated.
Thank you
Prabhakar JV
AP, India

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home