Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Thursday, May 26, 2022

Garden love

 


I planted more veggies yesterday in my plot at the Brunswick community garden. My peas (previously planted) are just beginning to pop up along my wobbly trellis.

In addition I've planted kale, spinach, carrots and collard greens. 

Next to go in will be eggplant, tomatoes, peppers and onions. I think they will all fit in nicely.

Volunteering to come out of the ground is a Milkweed plant that attracts endangered Monarch butterflies. Everyone who has a plot at the garden is urged to allow the Milkweed to grow. I've got one already emerging in a corner spot.

Getting water at the gardens is facilitated by a solar-powered device that pumps the water into large tubs in various spots across the garden. All I need to do is fill up a water can and take it to my plot.


 

I'm kind of surprised that quite a few of the available plots at the garden so far are not being prepared for the growing season. Hopefully that will change in the next few weeks.

I ride my bike to the plot and all needed tools are available in a shed on the grounds. Bike riding is one of my lifetime joys and gardening has become another super-wonderful experience for me. I love getting my hands in the dirt and watching things grow. 

In my line of work seeing real change either takes a very long time or rarely happens. Maybe that is why I love gardening so much - I can actually see clear results fairly quickly and can then eat them!

I'm so happy to have this bit of ground to play with.

Bruce  

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ariel Ky said...

Good luck with your garden, Bruce. As peace activists, we continually plant seeds, but rarely see them take root and grow. I agree with you there. So growing plants and food is much more rewarding.

5/26/22, 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This great to see and made me quite envious. I live in Turkey where I have a small garden but would love to have a plot to grow veggies as you do. Also love riding my bike. You have found the best of life while we observe the worst of life.

5/28/22, 5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home