Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Friday, October 19, 2012

A DECENT MAN



George McGovern is nearing the end of his life.  I voted for him when he ran for president in 1972 - my first vote.  I also worked as a volunteer on his campaign.  I put one of his bumperstickers on my desk at Travis AFB, California and went door to door off base in the evenings to help his campaign.  What I learned first-hand was that the mainstream Democratic party operatives in California, and all over the country, virtually abandoned McGovern because they thought he was too radical.

McGovern's loss to Nixon was hard to swallow.  In 1968, as a young 16 year old conservative, I supported Nixon.  But by 1972 I had been transformed by joining the military during the Vietnam War.  There was no turning back for me after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home