Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Remembering John Lennon

 


Today is the day 40 years ago when John Lennon was shot outside his home in New York City.  It is important for me to remember him for several reasons - one being his strong anti-war work and music during the Vietnam war.

Another reason is more personal.  My son was born just 5 days after Lennon's death and we named him Julian after John's son.

So each year since 1980 at this time I tend to recall John with a special fondness.

When I published the first-edition of my book in 2005 (2nd edition was 2008) I was struggling to come up with a name for it.  Early one morning I had to drive to the airport for an organizing trip and soon after starting from home I was thinking about the book title.  I had the radio on and right at that moment the Beatles song 'Come Together' came on and I knew right away that would be the book title.   I went with 'Come Together Right Now: Organizing Stories from a Fading Empire'.

As it turns out I've also tried to keep up with the life of Julian Lennon over the years.  I am really impressed with the loving and kind person he has become.  So it is with great affection that I remember John & Julian Lennon on this day as well as Julian Gagnon who I of course love and adore as well.

Bruce 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home