Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

FROM VIRGINIA

Just finished the two-day space weapons press briefing that Helen Caldicott organized in Virginia. Had quite a good number of mainstream media in attendance over the two days. Will do a more complete report once I get home. I was one of about 25 people who made presentations to the media.

Interestingly there was a woman in civilian clothes who was sitting in front of me and was feverishly taking notes of every speaker. She didn't seem to be connecting with anyone so I asked who she was with. She sheepishly acknowledged that she was a military officer for the Space Command. So we were being scouted.

There were 5 speakers at the event representing those who support weapons in space. So we had some interesting discussions at times during the event. It is pretty amazing though to listen to people argue that U.S. global hegemony (their word) is a positive thing. The resulting instability and conflict does not seem to move their hearts and this is something I do not understand.

I described the work of the Global Network, talked about the concerns of our affiliate groups in the U.S., in the Asian-Pacific, and in Europe. I also talked about how the space command is the military arm of corporate globalization.

More later. For now back to watching my baseball team, the Baltimore Orioles, as I am in their media market here in Virginia and get them on TV in my room. Unfortunately they are losing badly at this moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home